Animal Equality document the shocking reality of life for ducks and geese confined and force-fed for foie gras production in France.
• Animals confined to small cages in which the animals could not even turn around
• Animals with clear signs of stress and depression
• Evidence of trauma and inflammation of the esophagus - recognised by blood stains on force feeding tubes
• Animals with obvious respiratory problems
• Weak ducks left to die without veterinary care
• Ducks, who appeared fully aware of their situation at the time of slaughter. These animals were flapping, kicking, and bleeding incessantly
• Workers roughly handling animals
• Ducks moving with difficulty due to the size of their livers
France is the largest producer and exporter of foie gras. Over 20,000 tons are produced and approximately 700,000 geese and 37 million ducks are slaughtered by the French foie gras industry each year.
Over 4,200 tons are consumed in Spain, and 850 tons are produced. Over 1,150,000 ducks are slaughtered by the Spanish foie gras industry each year.